The surprisingly easy secret to fast weight loss!
What if I tell you that there is one key activity that if done correctly and consistently everyday you can end up losing a minimum of one kilo a week, without any change to your diet? Read on to know more.
It is ridiculous how undermined WALKING is as a weight loss activity. So many people think Gym, tortuous weight lifting, zumba classes and even running as a fast way to ensure shedding off kilos but they rarely think about how just moving around the block or even their houses can help them shed off 1 kilo a week! Don't believe me? Continue reading...
First, lets take a quick look on the top benefits of a daily 30-minute walking routine:
- It prevents breast and bowel cancer and promotes general health
- It strengthens your heart, reducing the risk of heart diseases and strokes
- It improves blood circulation, regulates blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- It is surprisingly one of the most effective exercises that proved to shed more abdominal fat than many other exercises
- It fights and eventually banishes cellulite appearance revealing more toned texture
- It shores up your bones, stopping loss of bone mass
- It prevents depression and lightens mood
- It promotes better sleep quality
- It eases joints pain
- It have recently proved to prevent Alzheimer's
Now that you have seen how GREAT walking is for your health. let's cut to the chase and see how you can lose weight through effective walking.
There are 3 types of walking and it all depends on how much/fast you would like to lose weight:
- Strolling: Think window-shopping/mall pace, or an intensity of 4 on a scale of 10. It burns about 238 calories an hour.
- Brisk walk. This means an effort of 5 or 6 on a scale of 10. It burns up to 340 calories an hour. While you can gossip with your walking buddy but still need to catch your breath every few sentences.
- Power walk. You're torching off approximately 564 calories an hour. Moving at this clip, using your arms to help propel you forward and taking longer strides, your effort should be a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10. Talking is possible only in spurts of three or four words, but...you'd...rather...focus...on...breathing.
The Walking-weight loss plan
Here is what you can do starting today:
- First off, download a pedometer app to track your steps. Its a great way to challenge yourself and beat your record every single time!
- Get comfortable walking shoes as well as an easy attire that you will feel comfortable walking in.
- You need to start with "Brisk walking" 3 times a week, for 15-45 minutes depending on your fitness level.
- Then use 2 days for an hour stroll. Let it be around the mall, your neighborhood or just around your dinning table (yes!). This will be your recovery session.
- Once you master brisk walking (by finding yourself able to talk normally while doing it without having to catch your breath so often), you can replace 2 of the sessions with "Power Walk" for 15-20 minutes. then increasing the time as you master it.
- One small change to your diet: No carbs after 5 PM. Otherwise, try and eat proper breakfast and lunch. Dinner can be mainly protein and veggies.
- Try to reduce fruits and salt as much as possible and instead focus on vegetables. There is a LOT of hidden sugar in fruits and salt causes water retention.
- Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water a day to keep your body hydrated
- Track your weight loss through taking measurements on Friday Morning every week, record it in an app or a simple note to encourage yourself and keep going.
How to walk correctly?
- Pay extra attention to your posture: Keep your shoulders relaxed and back, dont arch
- Keep your head upwards and not bent down
- Make sure you move your arms, this is essentially important to accelerate calorie burning
- Take long strides and widen your legs gap as much as you can
- Finally, imagine your feet stuck to the floor and you are peeling it carefully. Start from landing on the heel lightly, take an arch towards the toes before finally pushing lightly off the floor.
Any other walking tips or success stories? Share below!